Monday, March 12, 2012

Blog Bobber: Public Speaking 101

If you’re a fishing guy or gal, you know the value of a good bobber.  Not only does it provide you with something colorful to gaze at for hours as you wait endlessly for a nibble on the end of your line, but it also keeps that worm-filled hook of yours from sinking to the lake bottom and getting helplessly stuck.  Ultimately, it has the potential of providing a cuss-free fishing expedition (that is, until you cast straight up into the nasty pine tree that’s now mocking you as it displays three other fishermans' abandoned lures and dashed dreams).
So, what in the world is a blog bobber?  Well, I have to give props to my friend Ashlee for this one.  A few years ago she let me in on a little secret; she explained to me that she felt like one of her duties to all mankind was to be prepared in any given conversation to take on the role of “conversation bobber.”  Let me explain.  Is this convo sinking fast into the murky, thick waters of depressingly deep thoughts?  Quick, say something like “Hey, did you see that hilarious youtube video of the woman singing a duet with her rotund feline friend?”  And just like that, the conversation bobs right back up to surface level, and we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief.  
You’re catching my drift now.  My “blog bobbers” are going to be pointless (and hopefully humorous) posts that have no significance other than to keep us all from sinking into the quagmire of too deep self-inspection.  ‘Cause really, we all need a little air now and then, right?  Plus nothing beats a good gut-busting guffaw...it’s better than an ab workout, I’d say.  
So, here’s my first one.  Get ready to laugh (at my expense).
I’m pretty extraverted.  And ever since I was a kid, I didn’t shy away from public speaking.  (Well, minus a few super awkward years in late middle school and early high school... I think we can ALL be glad that I held back just a little at that point in my life.  Yikes.)  So while I was working at a large church in the area organizing local missions opportunities, I was asked to speak a little about how we were involved in the surrounding refugee community.  And I was glad to!  Excited, even.  It was (and still is) a passion of mine.  And although my “go-to” when I get a little nervous is always humor, this talk was going to be simple, straight forward, and free of jokes.  (This, coming from a person who’s informative speech topic of choice in Public Speaking 101 was titled “From Primitive to Porcelain: a Study of the Evolution of Toilets.”)
So, I prayed a bunch, prepared, prayed some more, and anticipated the opportunity.  And when the moment came, I stood up in front of 500+ people and laid it all out.  And as an uncanny peace settled on me, I knew it was from God.  My ideas flowed, the words came naturally, and all went well.  But as I was drawing it all to a close, I was challenging folks to not make excuses about why they couldn’t get involved.  What I meant to say was “But there’s a caveat, here.”  Unfortunately, what I actually said (and please go with me here and mentally picture the following body language)- with my hands extended out at waist-high height and motioning ever-so-slightly up and down for emphasis
“But I have a big ‘but,’ here.”  
My brother snickered.  As did his other high school friends around him.  
And in a moment that felt like forever, I was grabbing hold of all that I could so as not to bust out laughing uncontrollably, and went on without more than a slight upturning of the right corner of my mouth.  But, man oh man, have I been harassed about it ever since.  And truth be told, I more than earned it.  
And yes, for you inquiring minds, it was recorded.  And since my self-deprecation knows no limit, I’ll have to see if I can figure out a way to attach an audio clip to my blog at some point, ‘cause you don’t need to miss out on my verbal nightmare.  :)
P.S. The largeness of my bum region aside, the night continued rather successfully.  Apparently, folks can look past the size of my backside and still be very eager to get plugged in to serving new refugee families.  So, I guess it can be chalked up to a needed dose of humility on my “end”.  ;)
So, let’s have it.  Do YOU have a moment similar to this?  C’mon, don’t be afraid.  Sharing is good for the soul...  

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love you!! And I SO miss doing Infusion with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. # of Mary's bobbers for her blog > # of bobbers in Grandad's tacklebox

    ReplyDelete